Monday 27 April 2020

Good morning.

What a nice weekend we had; I hope everyone got outside to enjoy the sun and warm temps!

No meeting today--Wednesday.


It seems there was a problem with my email and the homework you should have received.  I have looked into it and I'm not sure what the problem was, so let's do this:  I'm assigning it today.  


I know this online teaching/learning is new to everyone and we're probably spending more time on our devices than before so I want everyone to know that I'm at my desk most of the day. 
 If you note the time I post my blog, it's usually around 8-8:30 (the time school starts).  
Feel free to email me through the day if you're having troubles with an assignment or 
need to ask a question.  That's why I'm here.  I'm sitting at my desk working.
If you send me an email before/after regular school time, or on the weekend, 
I won't get it/reply to it until the next school day.

8ELA

-Please make sure you're doing the 40 minutes to an hour of Reading today.
-I'm going to make small groups for our novel study. It'll mean that you do the day's assignment together.  You can Facetime, group chat, text, email, phone, Zoom/Skype or other video chat platforms to have a conversation about what you're learning that day.  Your group will then discuss with me in a small meeting and then present to the class in a whole class meeting.  Think about who you'd like to work with in a group; I'm letting students form their own groups BUT I can change the group members if necessary.  Groups can be three to four (preferably four) and can be a mixture of 8B and 8M students.  Choose one person to send me the group members today or tomorrow.  If I don't hear from you, I will make a group for you.  If you have a friend you'd like to work with, and it doesn't matter who else is in the group, send me that information--remember:  I'm at my desk all day.  Consult with me.
-Last Friday, we got started on I am David.  My email with the assignment didn't go through.  Below, you'll see the reading and an address for a map followed by a set of questions.  This work is due tomorrow.  If you got the email and the work is done, you have no ELA to do today.



http://66.media.tumblr.com/296bfbf84761ebc678bbe214dfd162f6/tumblr_no37h3CkyG1te10fgo1_1280.jpg

Intro-I am David-Part 1
1.  Roughly how many people died as a result of WWII?  /1
2.  Identify three problems communities had to deal with after the war?  Think about what the war would have done to towns and systems within the towns.  /3
3.  Define communist.  Identify two beliefs of a communist.  /3
4.  Who first used the term iron curtain?  What does the phrase mean (it's a metaphor)?  /2
5.  What is a labour camp?  Who was sent to labour camps?  By whom?  /3
6.  The Warsaw Pact was an agreement between certain countries to be allied with each other; they had similar beliefs and values or these beliefs and values were forced upon them by the Soviet Union (Russia).  Identify three countries considered behind the iron curtain (meaning they are part of the Warsaw Pact).  Identify three countries that opposed, or who were not behind the iron curtain (do not include neutral countries).  /6
7.  Is there a nation today that is communist?  Name it and tell me two facts about life in that country.  /3

8SS

-Last class we studied the fall of the Empire.  Today I'm collecting homework from the following people:  8M-James, Emily, Quentin and 8B-Joel, Munachi, Shaun, Allycia, Nevaeh

7SS

-Last class we finished our unit on quality of life with learning how we cooperate globally.  Today I'm collecting homework from the following people:  Kailee, Angelica, Feven, Owen, Ava, Khrystle, Lauren, Samara.
-We will be having a virtual class, from now I'll call it a meeting, on Wednesday at 11.  I will send an invitation on Wednesday morning.  You do not need to download anything; receive the invitation , click on Join Meeting, and it'll bring you to the virtual classroom.  I will be using the email you use to send me your homework.  If you want me to use a different address, let me know today or tomorrow; I won't update addresses on Wednesday.  You will need to find a quiet space in the house for us to meet and you can't be sitting in your bed; treat it like my classroom.


No comments:

Post a Comment