I AM DAVID – CHAPTERS 5 SUMMARY
1. Define the following: /6
a) gracious b) contempt c) rebuffed d) absurd e) deception f) wretched
2. How do the children respond when David encounters something new? Why? /2
3. David wanted to read a book written before 1917. Why? Who are “they”? /2
4. David’s hatred for Carlo is intense. What do you think of David’s attitude toward Carlo? /2
5. What is David’s reaction when the children want to play prisoner? Why? /2
6. We learn that the man had been giving David milk and vitamins for as long as David can remember. Make a prediction: Why do you think the man did this? /2
7. How does the children’s mother feel towards David? How does the children’s father feel towards David? Be sure to explain why for each. /4
8. Why does David leave Maria’s home? How does he feel about this decision? /2
8SS-We continued learning about Athens. We accessed the British Museum's website(www.ancientgreece.co.uk Athens-Story and Explore) for more information about Athenian life and reviewed page 130 and 131 of our text. I assigned four questions. HOMEWORK: ATHENS Q 1-3 PLUS 4 AND COMPARE AND CONTRAST: ATHENS V SPARTA DUE TOMORROW. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR SPARTA WORK IS DONE. THE ATHENS QUESTIONS ARE FOUND BELOW.
Q1. Identify two pros and two cons of being a Greek slave.
2. Identify one pro and one con of being a freed slave.
3. Offer a reason for a Greek polis to find slavery acceptable.
4. Based on Olympia's story, would you rather be a slave or a freed slave?
7SS-We worked on our projects. HOMEWORK: PROJECTS
***FOR STUDENTS WHO ARE AWAY FROM THE CLASSROOM FOR EXTENDED PERIODS, THE SOCIAL STUDIES TEXTBOOK IS AVAILABLE AS AN E-BOOK. THE TITLE IS
WORLD HISTORY:SOCIETIES OF THE PAST. THE PUBLISHER IS PORTAGE AND MAIN PRESS. YOU WOULD BUY (FOR A SMALL FEE-$3.99) THE UNIT WE'RE WORKING ON THEN JUST CHECK MY BLOG REGULARLY FOR THE RELATED QUESTIONS FOR THAT TOPIC...SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT IF YOU'RE OUT OF SCHOOL FOR A LONG TIME.